Sunday, March 8, 2015

DIY Floral Options

I love flowers. I love learning about the different varieties and being able to point them out in bouquets and arrangements. One time I taught Mr. T about ranunculus, one of my favorite wedding flowers, and he has continued to call them “radonkulus” ever since. Considering his expertise and interest in this area is decidedly low, he has wholeheartedly deferred all planning of wedding-day flowers to me. Unfortunately,Gorgeous wedding dress accents - For the best bridal dresses - Bride To Be - Wedding Forum Canada, fresh flowers don’t enter our apartment very often because Scout tries to eat them, but I knew they would be featured heavily at our wedding. One thing I do not like about flowers, or at least flowers of the professionally arranged variety,customize bobblehead, is the price tag. So I went in search of an alternative solution.


Mrs,personalized bobble heads. Balloons DIYed her flowers from Fifty Flowers,personalized bobblehead. / Photo by Audrey Hannah

Many brides looking to save a little money on florals opt to go the online ordering route. Websites like Fifty Flowers, Sam’s Club,custom bobbleheads, or Costco can provide large quantities of cut flowers at wholesale prices and are favorites of DIY brides. Mrs. Balloons constructed the beautiful bouquet above using pink peonies and white garden roses from Fifty Flowers. This option didn’t work for us because the style I was looking for is a wild arrangement with lots of variety,customized bobbleheads, and online retailers often require you to buy larger quantities of each type of flower.

Mrs. Treasure’s lovely Whole Foods bouquets / Photo by Andrew Collings

Another popular alternative is a local supermarket floral department. This works especially well if you only require a small quantity of flowers. Mrs. Treasure had alternative centerpieces during her reception, so she bought the flowers for her and her bridesmaids’ bouquets at Whole Foods. This option didn’t work for us because we needed lots of flowers for bouquets and centerpieces,personalized bobble heads, and we couldn’t be sure that they would have the quantity we needed. I’ve heard that many Whole Foods locations now offer custom floral design, but I’m set on the DIY option.

Mrs. Cola with her DIY market flower bouquet / Photo by Shoot Me Now Photography

Some areas have flower markets that are open to the public. Mrs. Cola purchased her flowers at the San Francisco Wholesale Flower Mart and assembled them with the help of family members and friends. Unfortunately, the Boston Flower Exchange is not open to the public—you need a Sales Tax Resale Certificate to shop there,custom bobblehead, meaning you need to own a business and intend to resell the flowers you purchase there. I tried to look into how strict this policy is, but in the end,custom bobblehead, it wasn’t worth it to potentially be turned away at the doors two days before my wedding and be left flowerless. I also tried to reach out individually to a few of the vendors, asking if they sold they flowers anywhere else in the area where I could purchase them,personalized bobbleheads, but I was unsuccessful.

Another option I researched was purchasing flowers in bulk from a local farm. Miss Orca recently wrote about her decision to pick her own wedding flowers. I really wanted to make this option work—the idea that our wedding budget would be supporting a local small business and showcasing beautiful, local flowers at the same time was really appealing to me. Unfortunately, all of the farms I reached out to told me that mid May is just too early for them to guarantee a bulk order in our area. We live in New England—it’s totally possible that spring could arrive a few weeks later than usual or that a late freeze could occur. I fretted over the fact that I wouldn’t have local flowers for a few weeks, until I discovered another option that might just be perfect…any ideas what it might be?

Did you DIY your flowers,custom bobbleheads? How did you make it work for you,customize bobblehead?

Tags: bouquetsflowerspeabody BLOGGER Miss Tractor Location: Boston,customized bobbleheads, MA Occupation: Occupational therapist Venue: Smith Barn at Brooksby Farm --> PREVIOUS POSTGallery of the Day: February 20, 2015 NEXT POSTTotal Re-Collie: The Boys Get Ready Related Posts Picking Our Photog01/30/15 @ 6:18 am DIY Bachelorette Goodie Bag02/19/15 @ 8:27 am Save Our Date and Tips for Saving Yours02/06/15 @ 10:37 am Bonus Tip: Do As I Say, Not As I Do02/11/15 @ 10:43 am

No comments:

Post a Comment